The Kitchen Assistant position is responsible for general duties involved in the preparation and serving of meals and snack items to students and staff members. Work involves safe handling of food and kitchen equipment and various cleanup activities. This position works under the direction of the Food Services Supervisor to ensure food is properly prepared and served in accordance with state and local guidelines.
Examples of Work (Note: All tasks may not be performed by one individual):
- Serves food at serving line. Provides a la carte items as requested.
- Assists students/staff by answering questions about food and meal content.
- Performs food preparation tasks according to standardized recipes such as washing and preparing fresh fruits/ vegetables, preparing and we salads, preparing snack items, preparing entrees and vegetable dishes etc.
- Refills condiment items on serving line as necessary. Restocks utensils and other supplies as required.
- Replenishes serving lines to ensure they are adequately supplied with required food items during times.
- Unpacks and carries food items ( bulk and/or prepared) to storage areas as appropriate.
- Cleans kitchen area, equipment and utensils to ensure sanitation codes are met. Washes/ scrubs pots and pans used in preparing food.
- May operates commercial dish washing machine.
- Performs housekeeping duties such as sweeping, mopping, washing tables. Uses accepted methods and products to perform theses tasks to ensure sanitation rating is maintained.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, understand and follow simple instructions, both in verbal and written form, understand and follow written/standardized recipes.
- Ability to perform simple math.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 35 pounds frequently for short distances.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to communicate with individuals ranging in age from pre-kindergarten to adult and with varying educational levels with superior customer service skills.
- Ability to accept direction from others.
- Willingness to work as a team member to accomplish objectives.
- Punctuality and dependability.
Location: Winston-Salem, NC (Forsyth County)